Department of Electrical Engineering
301 Main Street, 3A18
University of South Carolina, Columbia 29208
Phone 803.777.9520 Fax 803.777.8045
For more information
To learn more about the Department of Electrical Engineering at The University of South Carolina, call or mail us at:
The University of South Carolina
Department of Electrical Engineering
301 Main St., Rm. 3A80
Columbia, SC 29208
- Post Doc., Higher Ed. Management, Harvard, 1982
- Post Doc., Physics, University of North Carolina, 1969
- Ph.D., Physics, University of Tennessee, 1968
- B.S., Engineering, University of Tennessee, 1964
- Oak Ridge National Lab; Physicist in Solid State, Physics, Chemistry Divisions.
- University of Tennessee; Asst., Assoc., Full Professor, Assoc. Dean, Director - Science Alliance.
- Centre D'Etudes Nucleaires de Grenoble; Cherchur.
- The White House (OSTP); Senior Policy Analyst.
- University of South Carolina; Senior Vice President, Vice Provost, Distinguished Professor of Physics and Engineering, Interim Chairman of Computer Sciences and Engineering, Professor of Electrical Engineering.
- University of Tennessee Outstanding Teacher Award 1976.
- Industrial Research Magazine, IR-100 Award 1982.
- University of Tennessee Phi Beta Kappa Faculty Award 1988.
- The Order of The Palmetto 1994.
- University of South Carolina Distinguished Professor 1994.
- Undergraduate Courses – Freshman Honors Physics for Scientists and Engineers, Freshman Modern Technology, Junior level Electromagnetic Theory I and II, Senior level Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics.
- Graduate courses - Mathematical Methods of Physics, Communications Technology, Advanced Electromagnetic Theory, Superconducting Devices, Mathematical Methods of Electrical Engineers, Signal Integrity of high speed circuits, Signal Integrity on the system bus.
- Dissertation Direction – currently 5 Ph.D. students
- PI or Co-PI on 74 awards for $248 Million.
- Chair, FCCSET committee on Computer Research and Applications.
- Co-Chair, White House S&T Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities.
- Board of Directors: AMA, IRI, 88-Open, RCI, SURA.
- Vice Chair, Board of Directors for Oak Ridge Associated Universities.
- Basic Energy Sciences Advisory Board (BESAC) for the Department of Energy.
- Presidential PCAST panel on High Performance Computing and Communications.
- Vice Chair, U. S. Delegation for the Intelligent Manufacturing Systems (IMS) program.
- Vice Chair, Governor's Mathematics and Sciences Advisory Board (MSAB).
- PI and Program Director, South Carolina EPSCoR programs.
- SC Educational TV Digital Media Advisory Board.
- Chair, University-Laboratory task force for the National Coalition for R&D.
- Chair, Board of Directors for the Academic Coalition for Intelligent Manufacturing Systems
- Chair, Argonne Natl Lab Review Committee for the Decision and Info. Sciences Division.
- The UT/ORNL Science Alliance; the Distinguished Scientist Program.
- NSF S&T Centers and an administration commitment to double the annual NSF budget.
- U. S. High Performance Computing and Communications Program.
- U. S. / Japan Bilateral Agreement on R&D Cooperation in Science and Technology.
- S. Carolina Universities Research and Ed. Found. (SCUREF); the Dist. Scientist Program.
- NIST Southeast Manufacturing Technology Center.
- The Partnership in Computational Sciences: a DOE Grand Challenge Consortium.
- South Carolina - NSF State Systemic Initiative program for Science and Math Education.
- The Academic Coalition for Intelligent Manufacturing Systems (A-CIMS).
- South Carolina Supercomputer Network.
- South East Partnership to Share Computational Resources (SEPSCoR).
- USC-Intel Signal Integrity program
- 111 Publications
- 319 invited talks (24 keynote)
- 9 U. S. Congressional Testimonies